Coordination: The Institute of Fluid Mechanics of Toulouse (IMFT)
Contact: Marianna Braza
Multidisciplinary academic partners :
- (Law): IIP
- (HPC, Mechanics, Ontology, Aeronautics): CALMIP, CERFACS, IMFT, IRIT, ONERA Toulouse
- (Atmosphere): OMP-LA
in association with :
- the European H2020 project "Smart Morphing & Sensing for aeronautical configurations" (SMS), coordinated by the IMFT, as well as with
- the European H2020 - ITN "TEAMAERO" project, started in April 2020.
This "Avion" use case is part of the DATANOOS Alliance dynamic to contribute through a multidisciplinary action to an "enriched" and "intelligent" modelling of data concerning aircraft trajectories for all phases of flight (takeoff, landing and cruise), existing and improved using the wing morphing of the future.
These data, mainly from academic research, provide access to aircraft trajectory data allowing the evaluation and optimisation of trajectories for better manoeuvrability, reduced approach distances and increased safety.
The objective of the "Avion" use case is to contribute to the creation of a platform for the accessibility and sharing of aircraft trajectory data according to the FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) principles of the European Commission (H2020 programs).
Data sharing (initially restricted to the partners of the Aircraft CU) aims at eventually "open access" to part of this non-confidential data, by specifying the legal rules of accessibility and use in the context of Open Science principles, in partnership with the Institute of Private Law (IDP).
Three heterogeneous data sources - real, experimental and numerical simulation data - from two disciplinary poles were made available by the following partners:
- ONERA : Base of Aircraft DAta (BADA) - Eurocontrôle, Database of A320 type aircraft trajectories.
- European SMS project: Numerical and experimental simulation data around prototype aircraft wings in morphing in collaboration with the LAPLACE Laboratory, improving aerodynamic performance (increase in lift, decrease in drag and aerodynamic noise).
- OMP: "In-Service Aircraft for a Global Observing System" (IAGOS) is a European Research Infrastructure labeled by INSU under the responsibility of the Aerology Laboratory. This infrastructure operates a network of long-term observations of atmospheric composition (reactive and greenhouse trace gases), aerosols and cloud particles from a fleet of long-haul commercial aircraft (Airbus A330 - A340 ) that carry instrumentation for routine and in-situ measurements. These observations also include the geo-localization of the aircraft (latitude, longitude and pressure), meteorological parameters (wind direction and strength, temperature) as well as various parameters describing the aircraft's behavior (speeds, roll, rate of climb, ...).
In a second phase, algorithms will be made available by CERFACS, IMFT and other partners.
Cross-fertilization of the data
Cross-fertilization of these data required the following steps:
The manipulated data were made available on the CALLISTO platform created by the CALMIP. The above partners as well as those of the SMS project have enriched the dedicated space in this platform with data related to the objectives. The CALLISTO platform made it possible to structure a Data Management Plan (DMP) for the data of the SMS project.
An ontology structure is being finalized, allowing access to and interoperability of these data.
Within a demonstration ontology, a service composition algorithm is being developed that will allow for increased cross-fertilization between data, and advancement in the improvement of aerodynamic approaches through the exchange of these data, their metadata and their reusability.
The use of IRIT's OSIRIM calculation platform is also planned for the generation of part of the numerical simulation data in addition to those produced at CALMIP.
Members of the alliance's DataCore center of expertise are working with Avion use case partners to consolidate and capitalize on this approach.
- Consolidation of the ontology including the adapted services and use to deal with the coordination of workflow processes
- Realization of an ontology demonstrator based on real data and SMS ontology
- In the legal context of the use of the data, identification of third parties and the procedures for extraction from third parties will be defined, as well as the mode of exchange to manage different levels of confidentiality - accompanied by a query protocol.